Monday, April 16, 2007

Professional Line Stander

I like to think of myself as a professional Line Stander. What that means is that I have stood in many a line to get something I wanted-for long periods of time, in less than pleasant circumstances.

I started off innocent and as an amateur standing in simple lines such as a line for a movie's opening day premier. I’ve stood in lines such as the last two Matrix Movies or for Harry Potter flicks. These lines take little preparation, you show up, buy a ticket, buy some popcorn and a drink, maybe some candy and then, well, then you stand in line. Or maybe you sit in line or fidget with both. You bring a buddy along and the time passes by and you have a great time. The most I have ever stood in line for a movie is about 3-4 hours. It was easy time spent and well worth it.

I have done most of my Line Standing with my good Line-Standing buddy Bill. Bill is the one who took me under his wing and slowly turned me from a newbie to a seasoned professional. Yeah, it is all his fault-I place the blame firmly on his shoulders.

He and I have stood in line for about a half a dozen movies. Then we stepped up and waited in line at a bookstore for the last Harry Potter book. We got there in the early evening and waited around until the book went on sale at midnight. Again, fun times. Long line, but relatively short wait.

Then the XBOX360 changed everything.

I must first mention that I am a HUGE eBay fan. I have bought on eBay for many, many years, but just in the last few years have I ventured out and sold things on eBay. I do OK, not great, not anywhere near a part-time job, but enough to keep me at it and keep me on the lookout for new things to sell.

I must also mention that Bill is a pretty huge gamer. He has a few gaming systems and a library of games. What can I say, he's an adult kid. Bill had a problem-namely his wife-who did not want Bill spending $500 on another game system. But Bill is an adult kid! HE HAD TO HAVE TEH SYSTEM. Bill also knew that many, many others would have to have the system too! He also thought that there would be many, many others who would look for a system on Ebay. So this is where I initially came in. The initial plan was for me to stand in line with Bill and I would buy a system that Bill could sell on Ebay possibly making enough money to pay for a system that Bill could keep.

At this point Bill had 2 problems, Penny-Pinching Wife and eBay-bitten friend-who was getting greedier by the second. So Bill and I modified the plan. Plan B: We'd stand in multiple lines to get multiple systems so that both of us could come out with a system that would be mostly paid for!

And that is what led me to stand in a line at a Wal-Mart for 10 hours. Then outside a Sears in 40 degree cold for 8 hours. And still another for more than 15 hours outside of a Best Buy. While it snow and sleeted. It was COLD. We came out of the lines with 3 systems each and sold the 2 systems for just about enough to cover all of the costs for all 3 systems plus games and controllers.

I suppose that in of itself made me a seasoned Line Stander. Then Bill and I did it all over again a year later-fall 2006 when we stood in line for about 36 hours for the PlayStation 3. And again for over 24 hours a couple of days later for the Nintendo Wii. For this venture I actually started to recruit followers. I invited my good friend and neighbor and partner in eBay, Clayton, to stand in line with me. And I even got my twin boys into the act! They hung out with me in both lines-and ended up buying their own units and making their own money! Skipping school for a day for the cause (they love me)! Both lines were inside a warm Wal-Mart (I am not an all-bad dad).

I turned around again with Bill and Clayton after that last Nintendo Wii line and stood in yet another line at a Target for about 8 hours (no twins, sent them to bed). We ended up with 8 Wiis to sell.

Finally Bill coaxed me again to stand in line with him for another Wii. At this point I truly am a professional. I am almost addicted-to the line, for the experience, for the thrill, to meet the people, to answer the question 503 times, "What are you in line for?" Because I am dumb. Call it what you want. And this time it was so that Bill could have one and then an extra for a family member.

So, if you're counting...that is multiple movie lines, a book line, 3 XBOX360 lines, 1 PS3 Line & 3 Wii lines. Yep I am a professional Line Stander.

What's next? The Next Harry Potter book and the next Harry Potter movie! SWEET. I can't wait.

-Durk-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You wrote this on my birthday and I didn't respond. I am ashamed..

Those words "addicted to the line"... scary! Is there anything I won't stand in line for?!!?

Derin Beechner (Durk Niblick) said...

Oh Bill, I LOVE standing in lines with you! Even when my feet hurt. Even when my kids con me out of my money. Even if I didn't get Dave Ramsey to sign anything for me. Even if you were ungrateful that I took a picture. And did I mention that my feet hurt? I LOVE IT I TELL YOU! Or I am addicted too...one or the other. So let's make plans for the Potter lines!

-Durk-